Monday, December 1, 2008

Why am I so itchy?

I went for a great run this Saturday. In my mind, it was the beginning of my 18 week marathon to the marathon. I decided to go for the 6 miles that Hot Hal recommended. I have to be honest that it seemed to go on for a while longer than I would have liked. Particularly when my hands began to itch so badly that I wanted to take the skin right off and throw it into the Oatka Creek. Seriously, when I say the itched, they ITCHED! When I got home, I also noticed that my feet were itchy, too. I thought that perhaps the extreme cold was causing this discomfort however, I jumped on the Internet and did some googling (is that a word?). I came across a medical journal that claims that there is such a thing as exercise induced anaphylaxis. WHAT? I said? I am allergic to running? That would put a serious damper on the training, I think. I read some more and came across a few indicators that pointed to this mysterious ailment. (1) running in extreme cold or heat; (2) consuming food that is know to contain allergens (shellfish, nuts, wheat, etc.); (3) taking an non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (ie: Tylenol or aspirin) and; (4) being of the female gender. Alright, I said. This is just too crazy. (did I mention that I was also breaking out in hives along my torso?) (1) RAN in extreme cold; (2) shellfish allergies run in my family, although I have never experienced it. I had shrimp at Thanksgiving dinner. (3) I had a headache and took some Tylenol shortly before my run. (4) Alright, that one fits, too. SOOOO needless to say, I took some benadryl and watched the hives and felt the itching melt away.

I have an epipen for bee stings, I better start taking it with me on all my runs. But I must ask, has anyone ever heard of such a thing before? I must admit that the mere name of the syndrome makes me nervous - hypochondriac? perhaps.

2 comments:

  1. You can be allergic to cold.

    I don't think you'll go into anaphylactic shock, though...maybe just take benadryl before a run? I only use the epi-pen on Beavis (for food allergies) if his throat begins to close...don't know if it is different for bee stings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what...I thought about your post again and I remembered that I had exercise-induced asthma one summer and actually had to use an inhaler. They said it was because it was so humid and hot that year. Weird!

    ReplyDelete