Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unlimited Miles Ahead

So I've been thinking about what happened this weekend when I got past the psychological block of 16 miles, a distance that means only ten miles more and you've got a marathon. Ten miles is a long distance, for sure, but it's definitely less than 16, and for some reason, the marathon became mentally do-able all of a sudden once I remembered that. The surprising thing for me is that when I started training for this, my first marathon, part of me wondered whether or not I really had all those miles in me while the other part of me was sure that I could be a super dooper ultra marathoner one day and that it is my destiny to run far.

I love reading Dean Karnaze's blog. He is the guy that ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states. One time he said that while he was doing those marathons day after day, he felt stronger after each one instead of the other way around. I swear I understand what he means now. The more miles you put in, the more you've got. There's no limit where all of a sudden you run out of them. This is helpful information that I will take with me into week 8. I'm feeling really strong and optimistic. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment