Saturday, December 5, 2009

Time to Motivate - bring on 2010 - JUST SAY YES style!

I hit the road today for an almost 10 mile run. I finally felt great. I distracted myself from my cramping hamstrings by thinking about ways to motivate myself to run a bit more than I am right now. I thought back to the days when I ran because Kari was running and I knew that we were about to run Paris Marathon together. I had to train because I wasn't going to let her leave me in the dust. So, as I ran through my aching ass (cause it was really aching) I began formulating a plan for 2010.  (if for no other reason that to drop the unmentioned amount of lbs that I have gained since April. eh hem...)

I have been in front of the computer screen for the better part of three hours coming up with a 'wish list' for the next year. I want to share with you some of my thoughts.
1 - I want to run as many half marathons as I can. I love the distance, I respect the distance, I'm not scared of the distance, and I am motivated to stay in 'half-marathon-shape' for the year 2010.

2 - I want to run every event/race with someone - I don't ever want to run a distance over 10 miles without a friend to talk to and laugh with .... motivation goes a long way. Running can be a lonely sport (and that isn't always a bad thing) but I want it to be a fun sport for 2010.  I want to make memories with some of my running community friends - we are a fun bunch of people.

To these ends, I have begun to formulate a plan (this is not an ABSOLUTE plan, this is just a starting point.) BUT, the deal is this: if anyone decides to run any of these events with me, the plan will start to take shape.  SO - take a look at the list below and let me know if anyone is ready to register - I'm with you.

JANUARY:
  • 1st - Albany, NY - Hangover Half Marathon
  • 6th & 20th - Snow Cheap Trail Running Events - Cobbs Hill Park, Rochester, NY
FEBRUARY
    (hard to find many races in February-March in Upstate New York, but here is what I am going to do)
MARCH
  • 3rd - Snow Cheap Trail Running Events - Cobbs Hill Park, Rochester, NY
APRIL
MAY
JUNE
  • 13th - Lake Placid Half Marathon - Lake Placid, NY
  • 19th - (tentative date) Niagara-on-the-Lake Half Marathon - Ontario, Canada
JULY
  • 11th - Boilermaker 15k - Utica, NY *I won't be able to run it this year, but YOU SHOULD!!)
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
OCTOBER
Alright, this is where I stop - I have lost the focus to look to November of next year.  I think that the majority of these are doable as far as cost and running distance. I know I am missing some fun events like the St. Patty's Day races and the Turkey Trots, and the Pumpkins in the Parks, but those will not be missed - I'll run those, too.

Come on, folks. Let's hear what you have to say - WHO'S GOING TO JOIN ME???

5 comments:

  1. I'm about to relinquish my title as the Running Fool because you my friend have upped the ante.

    That said, Philly Distance Run is already penciled in. I have no idea where Glassboro NJ is (sounds far) but that race sounds interesting. Finally, you NEED to make Chicago happen. Please, please, pretty please :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list of races. I'm sure I could join you on a few. Here in Lima will be signing up for the run the ROC 1/2. I want the training shirt! Also toying with the idea of the Wine Glass marathon. There is also the 50 miler around Canandagua lake. So many races to choose from. I gues I better form a plan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's an amazing list...the wine glass thingie sounds great to me but i think my travel budget will be spent by then. and...WTF??? did i see limaruss just mentioned a 50 miler??? (rubs eyes in disbelief and awe).

    ReplyDelete
  4. LimaRuss's plans for the 50 miler involve a relay team (Judi, Russ, Myself, Melissa, and anyone else who wants to join) around one of the jewels of Western New York - Canandaigua Lake. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHhh - that Lake Placid half marathon sounds like a BLAST!! I'm thinking about doing the Niagra Falls Half with you!! then my family can finally come see me run... If you CAN convince me - I will think about doing the Wine Glass full marathon - but I've never done a marathon and am scared for my life!

    ReplyDelete