Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Day that Marathons are Made Of


ANYWAY, yesterday was full-on marathon stuff. The only thing I didn't get to was my passport, but that will wait for a few more days.

1 - bloodwork went fine. I'm sure everything is ok

2 - stress test was actually fun. The did an EKG, then put me on a treadmill for about 15 minutes at a 12% incline (just shy of running) The technician was funny. She said it usually takes about 5 - 7 minutes for people to get to their target heartrate. I was still on there for 15 minutes and about 10 beats per minute shy of my target. I THINK THE TICKER IS JUST FINE. Of course, the doctor wants me to come in AGAIN to get an ultrasound done (can you say - - COPAY????) I don't think I'm gonna rush to get one done. If my EKG came back with problems, I might be more concerned, but I am not so worried about it. I mean, it will be good to get a baseline of my heart, particularly with heart disease running in my family, but I'm not going to run out and get an ultrasound done.

3 - trainer - this was the cool part of my day. We talked about the physiology of the body, the heel bone connected to the knee bone, the knee bone connected to the thight bone, etc... In brief, I have flat feet (not a surprise, I've known it my whole life.) He thinks that a nice pair of orthodics would be a good thing. We are going to look more into that next week, but for this week, he gave me a electric/cortisone treatment that will work on the inflammation over the next few days. I have done absolutely NOTHING on it as far as running since Saturday and it is feeling quite good. SO, I will probably get on the elliptical on Saturday (keep the cardio going w/ low impact workouts for a week or two). We are going to keep icing, ibuprofen, stretching, and he is going to teach me some taping techniques that I can use to help take the pressure off the tendon, and put more emphasis on the arch itself. (there's a run-on sentence for ya.)

4 - I had business cards printed up to give out to everyone I know. I used the picture of me running with ms liberty as the background. They look cool. I will be handing them out to everyone I know - they have all the donation information on them. Hopefully I will drum up some donations. I also printed off some envelopes to use at all of my fundraising engagements that allow people to either donate now, or pledge a donation at the completion of the marathon. I hope they do the trick.

So much to say, I think it may be a three-post weekend. Up next: dodgeball for charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment