Friday, November 14, 2008

Only in Trieste

Since I moved here in 2003 they’ve been building a tunnel to alleviate some of the congestion at this one really dangerous H-shaped intersection that I’ve been complaining about since I got my Italian driver’s license.

“In America,” I’ve said hundreds of times, “if people get killed at dangerous intersections like this, they do something about it! They put a stop-light there!” Followed by a self righteous “Hmmph!”

Little did I know that they were doing something about it, AND HOW! A stop light (Listen and repeat: semaforo...semaforo)... Are you kidding?? NO WAY, fratello! They were digging two tunnels down there (one to and the other fro) to help people get from the area called Cattinara (also the name of the hospital close by) through the mountain and to Padriciano on the other side without getting in the way of the giant semis coming through Trieste on their way over the border to Slovenia. It makes perfect sense!

Did I mention that this solution (which has been fascinating to witness over the years, by the way) has been in the works for five years?? Well, dear readers, the wait is over. They’re finally opening the tunnels and it is time to celebrate! The inauguration is this weekend. Here’s the plan which was on the city website: Saturday, a tunnel block party (here they call them “Sagra”s) with free Jota (sauerkraut and bean soup) and Vin brulé (mulled wine). Then, Sunday there is a race from one end to the other and back (I hope we get to run in both tunnels!!) for a grand total of 5.7 kilometers. I'm going to do it. There is also a bike race of 15k.

I am so excited for this weekend! I’ll take pictures. Do you want to come to the tunnel party too?

4 comments:

  1. Sauerkraut and bean soup BEFORE a race?

    Only in Trieste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a recipe for gas. I don't know if I can top that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts exactly. :)

    (Holy cow! My word verification word looks suspiciously like the word "chouette.")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to argue with you about the flatulence factor (which we can put at about 11)... but the Jota is for AFTER the race, Bad Hippie!

    ReplyDelete