Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Bruce Springsteen and everything else.....

Michael - YOU WERE RIGHT, okay? Is this public enough for you? tee hee.

It seems that many months ago, our dear blogging friend and fellow Rochester Marathoner, Michael, came all the way from Cali to tell me about this book, Born to Run. He had already invested in the Vibram FiveFingers, and was begining the transition from 'western-modern' running shoes to the full-on VFF running style. I had tried the barefoot running thing, and I enjoyed it just fine, but my trepidation regarding the flat feel, achilles, etc.... convinced me that the gel heel cups nestled inside my Saucony's were the only answer for me. My only recipe for future running endeavors. Kari has read the book, Ms. Fool has read the book, many of my FB friends have read the book .....THEY ALL TOLD ME TO READ IT and I'm mentioning now for all of blogland to see (I WAS LATE TO THE PARTY)  

Well.... I read this book and now am not entirely sure. (I'm going to formulate a full blog posting on this book, as it has soooooo much more to offer than just the questioning of footwear...to be continued....)

While I have been holed up in my library for the better part of the last three days with an annoying sinus infection (knew I would have one as I always have one the week before a race and Albany Hungover Half is on Friday ----- damn you!!!) While I have been sitting here finishing this book, several things have occured.

1) I e-mailed LimaRuss after our Sunday 10-miler. His birthday was on Monday and his plan was to run 5 miles and complete his 1000th mile for the year. After wishing him a happy birthday, congratulating him on his accomplishment, and asking how it went - I URGED HIM TO SUBMIT HIS STORY for our blog. (this is the third or fourth time I've asked him to write his story, I think I'll get it this time....thanks Mrs. LimaRuss for adding the pressure) to be continued.......

2) I have pondered my goals for 2010 - aside from a long list of half marathons and 10ks, I have some other ideas. Ms Fool, Kari and I need to get our minds together before these are revealed.  to be continued.....

3) I made arrangements to meet up with my friend, and fellow marathoner, MaryKaren, on Friday to run our half-marathon together. It is going to be drastically cold, but that is fine with us. (I just learned that she has a new pair of fleece-lined running tights to try out. I am excited that my father-in-law will also be joining us for this cold event. I doubt he will be a slow as us, but Mary Karen and I have decided that we will run together - this will be all about running-in the New Year with a friend who became a marathoner in response to Kari and my training for Paris.  to be continued....

4) LimaRuss has requested that I add one more event to my 2010 schedule. There is a 50-mile relay race around the beatiful and scenic Canadaigua Lake. He, Judster, Mrs. LimaRuss, and I are slated to form a team for this race.... YAY TEAM LIMARUSS!!!! to be continued....

5) I just got a request from a former high-school track teammate who has become a friend on facebook. It went something like this: need to shed some lbs. Have convinced some gals at work to run the Rochester Marathon. Advice for a non-runner who is going to run the marathon in September?  Of course, I'm totally stoked that yet another friend has caved to the mysterious "Laura effect".... add another notch on the belt, one more person is joining the marathoning club.  (this is something that I am sure LimaRuss will talk about in his guest post) I told my friend to sign up for the marathon as soon as she can (so as not to back out), get Hot Hal's book ASAP, call me, and stick with her friends for support.  to be continued......

As you can see, I have a lot of things to get done, so off I go.... Baby We Were Born to Run.....

4 comments:

  1. Does not surprise me one bit that you have added another to the fold. I will get editing & I promise LimaRuss will pass on his story (and pics) soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over this book for the life of me. Don't worry girlfriend, I was way tardy for the party too so we're in the same boat. Luckily for the both of us, we have resident experts *ahem Michael and Kari* to show us the Vff-ing, chia-drinking way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm too far to get into the chia groove. I think we need a destination marathon somewhere in Mexico. I can't wait to hear more about your take on the book, too! I'm toying with the idea of re-reading. That's AFTER I get back from my 4-mile run with Sweetie on my back!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. That 50-miler sounds fun, too! Wish I could be on Team L.RUSS! I will root for you!

    ReplyDelete